Breaking news! Next Meatless Monday is Memorial Day.
So, here are some of my favorite vegetarian recipes for cookouts and picnics – from grilled veggie sandwiches and main dish salads to dips, sides and pimento cheese.
Because it’s your three-day vacation, and you can be as trashy as you wanna be.
Grilled Main Dishes:
- Grilled California Pizzas. Perfect for parties. Grill the dough, pile on the toppings, and let the heat from the grill melt the cheese.
- Grilled Chipotle Portobello Burgers. A spicy burger topped with pepper jack, grilled onions and avocado slices. It will make your toes curl.
- Grilled Portobello Burgers with Pesto, Provolone and Roasted Red Peppers. When I realized I could make these at home, my whole world got better.
- Grilled Vegetable and Goat Cheese Sandwiches (shown above). One of my all-time favorites. A double-decker slathered with herbed goat cheese and stuffed with grilled eggplant, peppers, red onion, zucchini and squash dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette. So. Much. Flavor.
- Grilled Vegetable Fajitas. Cut the peppers in half, toss them in oil with the onion slices and mushroom caps, grill ’em, and slice ’em up. Super-delicious.
- Grilled Veggie Sub with Vinaigrette. Cut your zucchini, red pepper and onion into thick slices, and grill them to get your hot-and-cold on. Great for picnics.
Main Dish Salads:
- Pasta with Zucchini, Tomatoes and Creamy Lemon-Yogurt Sauce (shown above). A new favorite! Made for big bites and absolutely no guilt.
- Big Fat Vegan Taco Salad. Have you met my friend Guacamame?
- Cornbread Salad with Black Beans, Red Bell Peppers and Cherry Tomatoes. Southern deliciousness.
- Couscous Salad with Feta and Chickpeas. Stuff it in a tomato, if you’re feeling fancy.
- Greek Panzanella. An unholy amount of homemade croutons tossed with peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, Kalamata olives, feta and a Greek vinaigrette. It’s like fireworks in your mouth.
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Citrus Dressing. It seems sophisticated without trying too hard. High-five!
- Peppery Monterey Jack Pasta Salad. Wake up your taste buds with chopped tomato, capers, red onion, banana peppers, Monterey Jack and white beans.
- Quinoa, Corn and Avocado Salad. Nutritious, and any excuse to eat more avocado is OK by me.
Sandwiches, Salads & Sides:
- Macaroni and Cheese with Summer Vegetables (shown above)
- Arugula Salad with Strawberries and Pecans. An all-time favorite.
- Asian Slaw with Roasted Peanuts
- California Sandwich. My favorite Southern tomato sandwich goes Californian with avocado, sprouts, pepper jack cheese and chive yogurt spread.
- Classic Coleslaw
- Deviled Eggs
- Fruit Salad with Limoncello. Boozy berries! A great band name.
- Grilled Zucchini Rollatini with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
- Grilled Vegetables with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Guacamole with Roasted Garlic, Poblano and Red Bell Pepper
- Mexican Grilled Corn. My go-to summer side.
- Pan-Fried Onion Dip
- Pimento Cheese Sandwich. A Southern summer staple.
- Potato Salad
- Seven Layer Dip. A light version with Greek yogurt.
- Smashed Potatoes with Chives
- Squash Ribbon Salad with Goat Cheese and Toasted Pine Nuts