When I set out to make a Bourbon Peach Milkshake, I didn’t think buying Peach Sorbet would be a problem. I’d seen it at the grocery a week before. But when I went back, the sorbet section had vanished and been totally replaced by rows and rows of rainbow sherbet.
You know what doesn’t go with rainbow sherbet? Bourbon.
So, I picked up a pound of peaches and made this peach sorbet, based on the same process I used for the strawberry: purée the fruit, add sugar and vodka, chill, and churn.
Sorbet is intense – all the fruit flavor with none of the dairy interference you get with ice cream – so prepare to get peachy.
Instead of eating it straight, I usually add it to a shake or make a sorbet fizz by blending a few scoops of sorbet with ginger ale, Sprite or Sierra Mist.
Sprite! Now, there’s something that goes with rainbow sherbet.
From Rebecca Crump (Ezra Pound Cake)
Makes 4 (1/2 cup) servings
- 1 pound very ripe peaches or 2 cups frozen sliced peaches
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon vodka or Grand Marnier (optional, but it makes for softer freezing)
- To Prep Your Peaches: Take a knife, and score an “x” on the bottom of each peach. Place them in a large pot of boiling water for about 1 minute, working in batches, if necessary. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peaches directly into a big bowl of ice water. When the peaches cool, drain them, pat them dry, and peel them, using your fingers or a small knife. Discard the peach pits, and chop the peaches up a little.
- Place your peaches in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the peaches into a container.
- Stir in the water and sugar, and keep stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the vodka. Taste and add more sugar, if necessary.
- Chill the mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and churn according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to an airtight container, and freeze until firm.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving) – calories: 93, fat: 0g, carbs: 22g, fiber: 1g, protein: 1g. (WW PP+ = 2)