Normally I wouldn’t violate his privacy this way, but Henry the Wonderdog is about four pounds overweight.
I found out last week when I took him to the vet to have his nails trimmed, and the vet’s assistant acted like she couldn’t believe I let his fat ass out in public.
So, she asks me what he eats, and I have to admit I have no idea, because Henry is the Canine Roomba. I used to spend half the day pulling things out of his mouth. Bread ties. Dead leaves. George Washington’s Inaugural Bible. He’s ALWAYS CHEWING SOMETHING, like an old man with a cheek full of tabacky.
Once, I dropped a hot wing, and he swallowed it whole before it hit the floor. Did I panic? Yes. Did he so much as burp? No. So, I don’t get involved unless there’s a possibility he’s chewing a.) glass or b.) a fast-acting poison.
What does this have to do with my Arugula Salad with Strawberries and Pecans?
Ever since I’ve put Henry on a diet, he gives me the hungry eyes and follows me around, hoping I’ll accidentally drop a scrap of chicken or a ribeye or an entire Red Velvet Cake. Yesterday, I dropped a balsamic vinegar-soaked strawberry, and he looked at me like WOMAN! AWWW, HELL NO! Turns out, this lovely combination of strawberries, toasted pecans and peppery arugula tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette is perfect for a light spring lunch AND canine appetite-control. Today, I think I’ll drop a lemon.
Arugula Salad with Strawberries and Pecans
Adapted from “Everyday Food”
- 1/2 pint strawberries (about 2 cups), hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bunches arugula, trimmed and thoroughly washed and dried
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan halves
- In a large bowl, toss strawberries with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar; let sit 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together another tablespoon balsamic vinegar with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- To the strawberries, add arugula, the vinaigrette and pecans. Toss to combine, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving) – calories: 187, fat: 17g, carbs: 9g, fiber: 3.5g, protein: 2g, PP+ = 5