This weekend’s giveaway comes from Scribble Linens, an online shop that makes reversible chalk cloth table linens – things like placements, table runners, table toppers and coasters that have a cute fabric on one side and chalk cloth on the other.
So what do you do with them?
I wondered the same thing until they sent me a few placemats and a table runner to try out.
I mean, if you have kiddos, of course, you can let them doodle on the chalk side while they wait for dinner or sketch where the silverware should go to teach them how to set the table. You could write them a “good morning” message or list how many bites of each thing they should eat before they can get dessert. You could write his or her name on a placemat or draw a shape and let them copy it. Jot down a word of the day. Let them vote on what to have for dinner (e.g. “Do you want spaghetti or chicken tonight? Circle your answer!”). Or play Tic-Tac-Toe or Hangman.
Can adults get any use out of these things?
I love that they give you a way to casually label things for a party without looking like you went completely Martha Stewart on the situation. For example:
- You could invite friends over for a tasting – of bourbon, chocolate, local cheeses, whatever – and let them put a check next to the ones they like best.
- You could have a wine and cheese party and draw arrows to mark which wines go well with which cheeses – or jot down the names of the cheeses or where they’re from.
- You could note which dishes on the table are gluten-free, sugar-free or vegan.
- Having a potluck? You could ask each guest to write down the name of their recipe so everyone knows what’s what.
- Serving a particular cocktail? You could write down the recipe so your friends can help themselves (instead of you having to play bartender all night).
- You could host a pie contest and let everyone put a check next to their favorites.
- You could TOTALLY doodle on it. Why should kids have all the fun?
When you’re tired of doodling side, just flip the linen over and enjoy the fabric side. They come in really cute chevron and damask patterns in a great variety of colors. (I have the blue-and-cream chevron and the yellow-and-white small print damask, and they really brighten up the table.)
Pass the chalk!
The Giveaway: Win a $100 Store Credit for ScribbleLinens.com!
Scribble Linens is offering a $100 store credit to one Ezra Pound Cake reader. To enter the contest, you need to do three things:
- Visit the Scribble Linens site.
- Leave a comment below this post about what you’d buy there with the $100!
- Either “like” Scribble Linens on Facebook, or follow Scribble Linens on Twitter.
The giveaway ends on Monday, April 8, and I’ll announce the winners on Tuesday. Good luck!