Summer’s here, and I hope you’re staying hydrated. Preferably with a rainbow of ice-cold beverages and cute straws.
I used to fight the straw. Then I spent one Fourth of July with Orange Crush sloshed down the front of my shirt. It’s not the best look. (Unless you’re entering a wet T-shirt contest, and then by all means, slosh away! We’re rooting for you, Girl!)
Saturday night, Jeff and I went to a cookout with all of his co-workers at Alison’s house. Alison, who volunteered to host the party AND smoke enough brisket and pork shoulders to feed at least 40 people. AND clean the toilet! So we broke out the good stuff to take with us: a big batch of killer chocolate chip cookies and a few pitchers of peach lemonade.
This lemonade has so much going for it: 1.) peaches; 2.) the sweetness of the peaches means you can add less sugar; and 3.) when the kids go to bed, this lemonade turns into a great mixer, especially with rum, bourbon or vodka.
Send ‘em to bed early.
Slightly adapted from Cooking Light’s “Chill: Smoothies, Slushes, Shakes, Juices, Drinks & Ices”
Makes 8 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peaches
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
- 4 cups ice
- White rum or bourbon (totally optional)
- Combine the first three ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes.
- Slide the pan off the heat, and let the peach mixture cool for 20 minutes.
- Using a regular blender or an immersion blender, blend the mixture until it’s smooth. Pour it into an airtight container, and chill it in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Strain the peach mixture through a sieve over a bowl. Keep the liquid, and toss the solids. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Now, taste the lemonade, and either keep it as-is or add a little something (like sparkling water, lemon-lime soda, white rum or bourbon).
- Place 1/2 cup ice in each glass, and add about 2/3 cup lemonade. Cheers!
Nutritional Information (per serving) – calories: 102, fat: 0.2g, carbs: 26.5g, fiber: 0.9g, protein: 0.6g, PP+ = 2