We’re doing 25 days of Christmas challenges to get that holly-jolly mojo flowing! Click here for the full Countdown to Christmas Advent Calendar.
Tonight’s the final Late Show with David Letterman Christmas episode. If you’re a fan like me, you know the Christmas show almost always includes three things: Jay Thomas telling the “Lone Ranger” story, he and Dave tossing a football at the meatball on top of the show’s Christmas tree, and Darlene Love singing “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home),” the way she has on the show since 1986.
Who has pipes like that at 76? She’s amazing.
Anyway, weird Christmas rituals keep things interesting.
When I was a kid, I always got a can of sardines in my stocking. The first year, it was gross. The second year, we popped the tin open and dared each other to eat them. By the third year, it wasn’t Christmas without a can of sardines.
So start a weird tradition… or keep one going. A strange stocking stuffer. An ugly sweater contest. Your very own It’s a Wonderful Life drinking game. A massive Jenga tournament. Movie night with candy cane-shaped pizza. A Doctor Who Christmas special marathon. A drive-by cookie drop. Honking at every house with outdoor Christmas lights.
Remember the sardines!
Selected Christmas TV:
- The Polar Express (7:05pm/6:05c, Disney)
- Santa Hunters (7:30pm/6:30c, Nickelodeon)
- Christmas in Washington (8pm/7c and 10pm/9c, TNT)
- Elf (8pm/7c, ABC Family)
- Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol (8pm/7c, CW)
- The Santa Con (8pm/7c, Lifetime)
- A Home for the Holidays (9pm/8c, CBS)
- Kung Fu Panda Holiday Special (9:30pm/8:30c, CW)
- A Nanny for Christmas (10pm/9c, Lifetime)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (10pm/9c, ABC Family)
- Blake Shelton’s Not So Family Christmas (10:30pm/9:30c, AMC)
- The Late Show with David Letterman Christmas episode (11:35pm/10:35c, CBS)
- Scrooged (12am/11c, ABC Family)
Video: Best of Darlene Love singing “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” on Late Show with David Letterman
Photo: Darlene Love (John Paul Filo/CBS)