I’m always on the lookout for veggie sides that might make me forget how much I miss chips. And tater tots.
This Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad from Art Smith’s Healthy Comfort is a new go-to. It’s got the texture of a slaw, but the raw sprouts are tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, slivered almonds and grated cheese, so the salad stays crunchy and seems more luxurious. One of those things you sneak an extra bite or two of before you slide it into the fridge.
Plus, it’s fresh and lemony, which I’m loving right now, because spring can’t get here fast enough.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Almonds and Lemon
Slightly adapted from “Art Smith’s Healthy Comfort”
- 20 Brussels sprouts, cleaned
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese or crumbled feta
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise. Thinly slice them until you get to the chunky white core (about three-fourths of the way down), then discard the rest.
- Place the sliced Brussels sprouts in a medium mixing bowl. Add olive oil, lemon juice, almonds and pecorino. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, and let it sit for 30 minutes to let the flavors marry before serving.